Monday, December 08, 2008

Michelle Wie graduates from Q-School

Michelle Wie has been playing LPGA Tour events since she was in the seventh grade, drawing the biggest galleries because of her youth and power, but earning little respect from players because of her preferential treatment.

In the 62 tournaments she has played over the last seven years, Wie received 53 exemptions or invitations.

The next time the 19-year-old from Hawaii tees it up, she finally can feel like she belongs.

Wie opened with three straight bogeys before settling down in blustery conditions yesterday for a 2-over 74, easily finishing among the top 20 players at Q-school to become a card-carrying member of the LPGA Tour.

"It's a good feeling," Wie said. "I really earned it. I legitimately went through Q-school. I took my medicine. And I got it. It feels good. It's like high school graduation."

* * *

[12/9/08] Michelle Wie now has a clean slate.

No comments: