Friday, May 24, 2019

Dick Couch

Dick Couch, a four-time state sportswriter of the year at the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, died Thursday at his home in Honolulu from complications due to pneumonia, his son, Richard, said. He was 83.

Couch, who lived most of the past 50 years in Kailua, worked at the Star-Bulletin from 1971 to his retirement in 2001.

He was best known for writing about University of Hawaii sports as the program ascended to Division I status. Couch covered the “Fabulous Five” basketball teams of the early ’70s, and the improving football and baseball teams.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm more than a year late on the passing of Dick Couch, a longtime friend and former colleague at the New York Mirror, but I wish to underscore what a wonderful person he was, and how I treasured our friendship.
I caught up with Dick a couple of times after his move to Hawaii...in New York City's Madison Square Garden at the 1974 National Invitation Tournament. We were there covering the same game in the opening round -- Hawaii vs. Fairfield. More than 17,000 fans jammed the Garden that evening; Hawaii trailed at halftime but rallied to win, 66-65. In the summer of 1991, I brought my wife and three daughters to Honolulu for what became a memorable vacation. Dick and I got together to share a few beers and many memories, and then, a few days later, he and his wife Aline took us out to dinner.
That was our final time together, but we did keep in contact through the years via Christmas cards and an occasional letter. RIP, Dick Couch.

Unknown said...

In my haste, I neglected to include my name.

Don Harrison
Fairfield, CT