Sunday, July 07, 2013

Anderson Silva caught by Weidman

LAS VEGAS >> Chris Weidman sent a shock wave through mixed martial arts, stopping Anderson Silva in the second round of the main event at UFC 162 to become the new middleweight champion on Saturday night.

Silva talked, taunted and dared Weidman to engage him. When the champion lowered his hands early in the second round, Weidman caught him with a short left that sent the MMA star to the mat. Weidman pounced and landed a few more shots that forced referee Herb Dean to stop the fight at 1:18.

"I felt destined for this," Weidman said. "It was far-fetched, but I imagined it so many times before in my head."

The win put an end to Silva's nearly seven-year reign atop the UFC middleweight division and his 17-fight win streak.

"I worked for this fight, Chris Weidman is the best now. He is the champion," Silva said. "I've had the belt for a long time. I'm tired."

The former champion fell to 33-5 with the loss.

"(Silva) was an idol of mine. I didn't want to mention it in the camp," said Weidman (10-0), who earned knockout of the night award. "I looked up to him for many years."

No comments: