Saturday, November 24, 2012

Chad Owens, outstanding player

TORONTO >> Former Hawaii receiver Chad Owens was honored as the Canadian Football League’s outstanding player Thursday night, three days before he leads the Toronto Argonauts against Calgary in the Grey Cup.

The 30-year-old Owens led the CFL in receiving with 94 catches for 1,328 yards and six touchdowns, also topped the league in return yards with 2,510 and had a record 3,863 all-purpose yards.

“Four years ago I had no real idea what the CFL was,” Owens said at an awards ceremony on Thursday night. “Everything that happened to me prior in my career, it all happened for this moment.

“In 2008 did I see this? No. But this offseason did I see this? Yes. You always have to believe you have a chance and I truly did. I’m just so thankful it came true.”

Owens, 5-foot-8 and 180 pounds, beat out Calgary running back Jon Cornish in voting conducted by the Football Reporters of Canada and the eight CFL coaches.

Owens received 41 of the 57 available ballots.

No comments: