Saturday, August 28, 2010

UFC 118

In the co-headliner, UFC hall of famer Randy Couture dominated former professional boxing world champion James Toney, submitting the mixed martial arts novice with a first-round arm-triangle choke. The white flag came 3 minutes, 19 seconds into Round 1.

Couture dropped levels for a single-leg takedown inside the first 30 seconds, put Toney on his back and moved immediately to mount. From there, the finish was academic. Punches from the top softened the boxer for the choke near the cage. After a brief readjustment, Couture locked up the choke, passed to the side and waited for the tapout.

"This is exactly what we trained to do," Couture said. "No one really shoots a low single in MMA. I knew with James' boxing stance a low single would probably be there, and it worked. I've worked on that arm-triangle for over a year now, so to finally get it, it was awesome."

Toney credited Couture and vowed to return.

"I didn't expect him to be so aggressive at first," he said. "He just caught me. He got me on the ground, and I couldn't get out of the triangle choke. But I'll be back. I ain't no quitter."

***

Solidifying himself as the kryptonite to Penn's lightweight Superman, Edgar retained his 155-pound championship with a near flawless performance in the UFC 118 "Edgar vs. Penn 2" headliner on Saturday at the TD Garden in Boston. Edgar swept the scorecards from all three judges in a unanimous verdict: 50-45, 50-45 and 50-45.

Edgar scored with two- and three-punch combinations throughout the fight, delivered strong takedowns in the first and second rounds and dominated the revered Hawaiian in virtually every phase of the sport. Penn was visibly frustrated after the first five minutes, and his situation did not improve.

"Frankie fought a great fight. He's the man," Penn said. "I've got nothing bad to say. He fought me twice. He walked away with the decision twice. What can you say? It looked like the same kind of fight as last time. He got off good. Much respect. I've really got to go back and think about things."

No comments: