Friday, February 12, 2010

Liz Chun resigns

Liz Chun, the first female sports director at a major Honolulu television station and the most prominent woman sportscaster in Hawaii history, resigned from her position at Hawaii News Now (KGMB-KHNL) on Friday.

Chun had been sports director and weekday anchor at KGMB nearly eight years, and at the KGMB-KHNL conglomerate after the stations merged last year. Chun was also host of Hawaii football coach Greg McMackin's weekly in-season TV show.

She started at KGMB in 1995 as an assistant producer and gradually climbed the ranks in local sportscasting.

"I just thought it was best for myself and the station right now," Chun told the Star-Bulletin in a phone interview today. "I am very grateful for how sensitive and supportive everyone has been, and I was able to reach my career goals. This is a very difficult time, and my father's death put some things in perspective about slowing down a little."

Chun said she does not know what she will do in the future, but does not rule out a return to sportscasting.

***

I lived in fear of Liz Chun.

Not because I didn't want to "lose" to a woman ... I didn't want to lose to anyone, period. I feared her because she had no fear and plenty of good sources. She knew how to break stories, and was often ahead of me and the rest of the pack because she worked so hard. A born competitor, a gamer.

-- Dave Reardon

No comments: