Friday, June 05, 2009

Randy Johnson wins 300th

The emotions finally flowed for Randy Johnson when the final out was made.

A hug for his son, who was serving as batboy. Hugs for every teammate, plus a really big one for his manager. The game ball presented to his wife as his three daughters beamed with pride. A news conference that lasted a half-hour from a player who usually doesn't have much to say. Someone even spotted a smile.

The Big Unit admits he can come across as surly, and he did his best over the past few weeks to downplay his pursuit of 300 wins. Once he got there -- with a steady, six-inning performance in the San Francisco Giants' 5-1 victory over the Washington Nationals in the opener of a doubleheader Thursday -- he was free to express that, yes, it really is a big deal.

"I think it kind of hit me when I walked on the field," Johnson said. "It's a long-range achievement. It's not a one-game or a one-year achievement, it's a career achievement. Who knows how many teammates I've had over my 21 years, but they had a great deal to do with my success. I'm going to think about this for a long time."

No comments: